Monday, August 18, 2008

Photograph

I am looking at a photograph right now that is driving me crazy. I feel like something is missing. I like artsy photographs, don't get me wrong. My sister and one of my best friends are excellent photographers and take interesting pictures. This particular photo just bugs. It feels like the photographer was trying to be creative in the framing of the subject and in doing so cut out too much. It is a photo of a young child. The eyes are most prominent with some bangs and the girl's nose and only a tiny portion of her mouth. That last part is the problem. I feel that more of the mouth should appear in the picture. Why would the photographer purposely cut off 3/4's of the mouth and leave just that little bit left? I have taken photos of my babies' hands or feet, or even of the swirl pattern on their heads or their beautiful eyes and left out everything else. I framed them better though. If the photographer wanted to focus on the child's face, then the mouth should be included completely. If the eyes were the focus, then maybe cut out the mouth. I don't know, it just doesn't look right to me. I keep staring at it trying to figure out why it is annoying. Sorry I can't link to the picture, but try to imagine it. I am sure some other people have some things that just bother them without being able to pinpoint why. It is just one of those things I guess.

No comments: