Sunday, August 10, 2008

Appreciating the Arts

I started typing this last night but apparently the sound of a laptop keyboard wakes my husband up. I say laptop keyboard because a laptop's keys make a much quieter sound when pushed than a standard keyboard, yet somehow they aren't quiet enough for my husband who falls asleep with the television on. Well back to my original topic.

The inspiration for this came from hearing my dad's comments on a contemporary dance routine showcased on So You Think You Can Dance, a reality tv competition show. Now before I go on I feel the need to defend my reality tv watching habit. I for the most part watch skill-based reality tv. That means dance, singing, design, hair styling, and cooking reality competitions. I do not watch shows like Survivor or the Amazing Race except on a rare occasion. I do not watch Real World, Bachelor, or anything similar. I watch the skill-based shows mainly because I appreciate the skill involved. I like to watch or listen to people's talents, or see creative designs. I do not care for drama driven reality shows. These seem like the most mindless shows on television. Why do people enjoy seeing others argue about unimportant things in a manufactured situation? My brother fails to appreciate my discernment. He likes to poke fun at my viewing choices and ignores my explanation of the differences between Project Runway and Road Rules. Ahh well, his loss.

My dad does not like contemporary dance. He also does not appreciate it. To him it is "people making movements because they have to". He does not see the artistry or difficulty in many of the routines I have watched. Negative opinions of contemporary dance abound, at least in my experience. Especially among non-dancer heterosexual males. (This might be stereotypical, and if you are a heterosexual male that likes contemporary dance, please speak up.) Modern dance is even more misunderstood. (Yes, modern and contemporary dance are technically different. Modern includes some really weird (but often interesting) forms of dance using props such as stretchy sacks covering the dancers.) Contemporary is as far as I can learn modern modern dance. It is the most current style of dance.

I appreciate most forms of dance and I do enjoy most forms of contemporary and modern dance I have seen. It helps that I have taken a modern dance class in college that taught some of the history behind these dances. I think to truly pass judgment on the value of an art form one needs to study at least some of the history of that art form. This also applies to modern art. I appreciated certain types of modern art more after learning the background behind specific paintings and taking a humanities course. The increased knowledge did not necessarily increase my love of certain paintings or dances however. Whether or not a person likes a specific form of art or individual piece of art is more emotional and doesn't require, at least in my mind, any background information. I still hate some "art" that hangs in museums, specifically the paintings that involve a solid block of color on a canvas. I don't even appreciate those except to admire the artists ability to make money on something that I could paint myself with no training or skill. This is another topic though.

Another underappreciated form of art is operatic singing. Or more accurately appreciated from a great distance from which the sound is no longer distinguishable to human ears. Some have referred to opera singers as screamers. I love opera and operatic singing (of course). It is not my favorite form of singing but I have heard several opera pieces that are very beautiful.

My parents find my love of this and classical music (my radio is almost always tuned to classical music) unusual I think. They have commented on my bad taste, but since their radios are set to country stations I ignore their opinions. My husband doesn't mind some opera or classical music so I like to think that I gave him culture. A very snobbish idea probably, but I don't understand people that say they don't at least like classical music. You don't have to like it all, I don't. I just like much of it.

Who thinks I am weird now? This might be a boring post, but it was on my mind. Hopefully it gave you all some enjoyment and maybe inspired you to experience some new things. Stay tuned for tomorrow's post on the bliss of ignorance (after telling you all to study a subject before passing judgment it seems a strange choice but just wait and see).

3 comments:

redbug said...

First of all, your father is probably a man that would just as soon spend $10 for a poster of a wonderful piece of art than several hundred (or thousand) for a beautiful original. So we will ignore him. But with classical music, it seems to me that it is an acquired taste. There are so many different kinds of classical music, just as there are to dance. So maybe it is your specific choice of music that your parents don’t care for. Some people need to be alone to concentrate on the true beauty of music. To listen to it and have people talk over it like maybe in a car or in a family room setting is difficult to do for some. Old music that you can sing to is much easier to listen to with distractions. Seems to me you aren’t looking at the whole picture and are being as judgmental toward others as you are thinking they are to you. When was the last time you were able to belt out “Jesus Take the Wheel” or “Sergeant Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band” with glee? There is as much joy in that as to listen to Pacobels Canon in D when you can close your eyes and feel the music. I am not much of a dancer and prefer “Dancing with the Stars” myself. The older kind of dance speaks to me more. As to the paintings that are bold splots, well I don’t care much for those either but it is harder than you think to reproduce. Seems like you were brought up in a very positive environment to have access to all of these different types of “Art”!

Jenny said...

My hubs likes that you think you can dance show to and doesn't understand why I can't appreciate it. Although I was impressed when I saw some guy land on his head.

Nuttygirl said...

I never said I didn't like country. I actually do know the words to Jesus Take the Wheel. I like most types of music, but not all songs of a particular type of music. I don't prefer much of the selection of country music stations, so I don't listen to them. That is the same reason I don't listen to alternative, mix, oldies, and hip hop stations. I don't like there selection and it is annoying to change the station back and forth. I like more of what they play on the classical station, plus no commercials! They have more years to draw from for classical music selections so I think usually make better choices.

I think you have taken my post a little to seriously redbug if you think I am being very judgmental. Some things are just fun to say.